Tamarack Waldorf School, formerly Tamarack Community School, was founded by a dedicated group of parents and teachers in the summer of 1996. In the fall of that year, its doors opened with two full kindergartens, a combined 1st and 2nd grade class, and a combined 3rd and 4th grade class.
It was of primary importance to the founders that Tamarack take part in the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program so that tuition could be kept low and families from various economic circumstances could be part of the school.
The founding teachers had a strong connection to Anthroposophy and maintaining this connection has been an ongoing goal for the continuation of the school.
The first school building was located on 49th Street just north of Wells Street in the Sacred Heart Church school building. The rapidly expanding classes soon outgrew this space. For four years, younger students remained at the original location while older classes were housed at a separate location. Finally, in the 2002-03 school year, Tamarack came back together as a school at 1150 East Brady Street, in the former St. Hedwig’s Church school building.
Tamarack graduated its first 8th grade class in May of 2001 and has continued to increase enrollment; it currently is one of the largest Waldorf elementary schools in North America. Since its founding, the faculty has grown to include a preschool teacher, three full-time kindergarten teachers, and eight full-time grade teachers. Tamarack also employs specialists in the following subjects: handwork, Spanish, woodwinds, cello, violin, ballroom dance, eurythmy (a form of movement), wood working and learning support.
In 2013, school leaders decided to expand into a high school, and plans were made to open Tamarack Waldorf High School in the fall of 2014. Please go to our High School page for more information.